Why 40 days?
Whenever God wanted to prepare someone for his purposes, he took 40 days.
- In Genesis, the flood which destroyed the earth was brought about by 40 days and nights of rain.
- Noah’s life was transformed by 40 days of rain.
- The Hebrews spent 40 years in the wilderness before reaching the land promised to them by God.
- Moses fasted for 40 days before receiving the ten commandments on Mount Sinai.
- David was transformed by Goliath’s 40-day challenge.
- Elijah was transformed when God gave him 40 days of strength from a single meal.
- The entire city of Nineveh was transformed when God gave the people 40 days to change.
- Jesus spent 40 days fasting in the wilderness in preparation for his ministry
- The disciples were transformed by 40 days with Jesus after his resurrection.